Target GroupShip officers (deck and engine) operating in national and international waters.
ObjectiveAfter completing the course the participants should have the knowledge and skills required for optimum organisation and cooperation in the event of an accident or illness onboard. The course covers the contents of table A-VI/4-1:
- Minimum standard of proficiency in medical first aid, and table A-VI/4-2.
- Minimum standard of proficiency for persons in charge of medical care on board ship.
Course ContentsDuring the course the following topics will be covered:
- Lifesaving first aid.
- Death at sea.
- Treatment of injuries.
- External assistance.
- Bone fractures.
- Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation.
- Alcohol and drug abuse.
- Disease prevention.
- Head, neck and spinal injuries.
PrerequisitesMust have completed basic training and basic safety training or instruction in accordance with section A-VI/1 of the STCW Code, and must meet the relevant competence requirements STCW tabell A-VI/4-1 according to STCW 78 – Manilla 2010
- Written test with multiple choice answers.
- Individual assessment of practical skills.