Target GroupRequirements for seafarers who must provide medical first aid on board.
ObjectiveAfter the course, the participants must be able to demonstrate competence given in the STCW code’s table A-VI/4-1. Participants must be able to provide first aid immediately in the event of an accident or illness on board.
- Side rent.
- Use of the contents of the medicine chest.
- Recognize symptoms and clinical effects.
- Back injuries.
- Treatment of burns, scalds, effects of heat and cold, and electric shocks.
- Medical advice over the radio.
- Transport of dangerous goods.
- Symptoms, treatment.
- Closed fractures, sprains and muscle injuries.
- Circulatory damage.
- Make detailed observations of the patient.
- Burns, scalds, effects of heat and cold, and electric shocks.
- Treatment of fractures, sprains and muscle injuries.
- Cardiac arrest, drowning and suffocation.
PrerequisitesCourse participants must have completed a basic course in medical first aid in accordance with table AVI/4-1 before participation in this course.